Student Dress Code
Walton County School District Code of Conduct 3.9 DRESS AND GROOMING
A student's wearing apparel and grooming shall be the responsibility of the individual student and his or her parents or guardian. Dress and grooming shall be clean, healthy and safe and shall not be permitted to disrupt the teaching/learning environment.
Schools may choose to encourage students to wear appropriate shirts of the school color(s) to foster a healthy school environment and team spirit. In schools where the Board has approved uniform dress policies specific to the school, such policies will include the following dress and grooming policy.
For students, appropriate and acceptable dress includes:
- Pants, jeans, long slacks, or capris (below the knee)
- Shorts, skirts and dresses that are at the knee
- Shirts that cover the midriff, but no spaghetti straps, halters or backless shirts allowed
- All visible garments including layered garments, must be in accordance with the dress code.
- Shoes will be worn at all times. No heels or platform shoes greater than one inch
- Sunglasses, hats and other sun-protective wear will be allowed to be worn outside only.
SECONDARY AND ELEMENTARY
The following are NOT appropriate for the school environment and are NOT acceptable:
- Pants that drop below the waist
- Holes in garments above the knees which expose the flesh
- Heelies (shoes with wheels), shoes with cleats or bedroom shoes
- Hats in the school building
- Items that worn together are indicative of gang membership
- Garments containing a message that is obscene, racist, or promotes illegal activities, drugs, alcohol, or tobacco products
- Pajamas (pants or tops)
- Leggings, spandex, or tights are not permitted unless worn with an outer garment that complies with dress code requirements, and is at the knee.
- The wearing of any clothing that exposes underwear or body parts in an indecent or vulgar manner or that disrupts the orderly learning environment.
Students enrolled in special programs, such as on the job vocational training, or participating in school activities which require additional standards of dress or grooming shall comply with such additional standard.